Charlestowne Estates

If you are considering purchasing a home in Charlestowne Estates, you have many options. This neighborhood is located in Charleston, South Carolina, and it is close to Orange Grove Estates and Northbridge. It's also near The Citadel, which is a public senior military college located just two miles to the southeast. Also nearby is Northbridge Park, a public park located in West Ashley and operated by the City of Charleston. More here

After the Civil War, George Seabrook Legare purchased the property. His daughter, Ferdinanda Izlar Legare Backer Waring, later married Dr. Joseph I. Waring and expanded the estate to three times its original size. She was also the main architect behind the architectural changes to the home.

Charlestowne is known for a number of historical events. In July 1774, Charlestonians were named to the First Continental Congress and the First Provincial Congress. The city is also home to the First Chamber of Commerce in the United States. The city is also home to the oldest public library in the country.

Charlestowne was originally called Charlestontown until 1783. The English settlers came to the region in 1670 from Barbados, and settled on a peninsula between the Ashley and Cooper rivers. They named the settlement Charles Town, which is still known as Charleston today. Initially, the community was dependent on the fur trade, but it soon flourished and eventually became a royal colony. The town's name derived from Sayle, who was the first governor of the colony between 1670 and 1671. After the Revolutionary War, the town changed its name to Charleston.

After the Civil War, Charleston's population was estimated at 55,800. In 1900, the city hosts the South Carolina Interstate and West Indian Exposition, a precursor of the World's Fair. In 1931, the city adopted a Planning and Zoning Ordinance to protect the historic homes south of Broad Street. The city also became home to the Charleston Symphony Orchestra. The Historic Charleston Foundation was established to restore and preserve historic properties. Next article

In 1787, South Carolina's delegates sign the United States Constitution. On Dec. 21, 1799, President George Washington arrives in Charleston. He stays at the Daniel Heyward House. Then, he attends events at the Old Exchange and McCrady's Longroom. In 1860, the city's population was estimated at 40,500 people. A few years later, Abraham Lincoln's election prompts the resignation of the federal officials in Charleston. In the spring of 1861, the city is hit by a major fire that burns many buildings. The fire is suspected to be arson. In 1785, the Charleston Water Works was established, bringing water from Goose Creek to the city's residents.

In 1779, Charlestown is the southern base for British operations. The British Army invades the city and begins laying siege. During this time, a few hundred Continentals from South Carolina and North Carolina join the British troops. During this time, Peter Timothy reports smoke from British campfires.

Scroll to Top