I see many patients and parents with children with ADD/ADHD. I commonly get asked if there is a diet to treat ADD/ADHD. The Feingold diet which was developed in the 1970s by Benjamin Feingold, MD, a pediatrician and allergist can be beneficial with children and adults with ADD/ADHD. The diet is very much like the protocol I use when treating patients with food sensitivities by eliminating certain foods.
Children with AD/HD [ A.D.D. OR ADHD ] can have difficulty with one or all parts of the attention process. Some children may have difficulty concentrating on tasks (particularly on tasks that are routine or boring). Others may have trouble knowing where to start a task. Still others may get lost in the directions along the way. A careful observer can watch and see where the attention process breaks down for a particular child.
- Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
- Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
- Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
- Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
- Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
- Often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
- Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments,pencils, books, or tools)
- Often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
- Often forgetful in daily activities
I follow a very similar protocol as the Feingold Diet by first avoiding:
- Artificial (synthetic) food dyes
- Artificial (synthetic) flavorings & fragrances
- Three preservatives
- Artificial sweeteners
These are temporarily removed at the start of my program and may be introduced back into your diet to help trigger food sensitivities and to help determine allergies as well.
Learn more healthy habits at Dr. Tiffany Jackson’s 5-week Master Class Course at Naturalmedicinenow.com or to become a patient please email email@example.com
Photo Source: Unsplash